Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions


While I think the idea of New Year Resolutions is stupid in that most people just do it because it's a cultural tradition, and not because they actually want to or plan on changing, and those resolutions almost never last the full year, I can see the appeal in wanting to improve yourself and be a better person. And what better time to do that then at the beginning of the year, a "new start," after you've just reflected on the entire past year. Although I stand by my stance that doing New Year Resolutions just to do them is stupid, I do have some things that I would like to change, for the reasons I stated earlier.

One of those things is to start working out regularly, which is a typical one, but is one I've already started with Abdul. We're now members of LA Fitness and it's going great and I feel much healthier and stronger and like a better person.

Another one of them is to start reading more. It sounds weird because I love books so much, but during this first semester of my sophomore year I really stopped reading as much as I used to. And in general, I've read way less in high school than middle school, when I had much more time, but reading was really one of my favorite things to do and unlike any other pleasure. It's beneficial and I feel I need it. I have two huge stacks of books on my desk of books I need to read and it's only gotten larger, but I'd like to clear that desk by the time I leave for college. Now I'd say that I stopped reading as much because of AP Euro reading and I'm spending more time with my friends (and often working on movies), but yet I still find time to go on the computer. :P Over winter break, now that I have had more time (and yet still so many things to do!) I've been able to read a lot more (finished two books in two weeks and started another!) and still go on the computer (and hang out every night.... when I really need to finish that wedding video, my NYU application and my AP Euro reading), but once school starts again that won't be possible, because I won't have that much time. So why sacrifice books? Which leads me to my third resolution.....

Spend less time on the computer. I really like going on the computer and it's addictive, but it's pretty much a waste of my time, when I could be doing so many other things. Yet I always find enough time to check slashfilm.com or something. But now that I'll be working out at the gym 3 times a week, have an extra class this semester (and really 2, because we never had any homework in weights) I'll have tons more homework, as well as trying to write everyday (see below) and read more. So I really don't need to read every article that captures my attention on slashfilm. I can live without it and wait on hearing every detail involved with every movie currently in production until the movies come out. I'll admit it'll be tough, but it's for the better. Facebook doesn't worry me as much, because that's pretty much just for socializing and contacting people. I really don't feel I waste much time looking at any of the stuff on there. So my goal is only 30 min. a day, though 45 min. a day seems more likely at first.

And finally, my last resolution is to start a journal, in which what you are currently reading is the first entry. I've never had a journal just for myself, though I've heard many times that I should, that many people like me have and I always liked the idea of having one (and really enjoyed journalling in my English classes), but it always seemed like too much time and trouble to do on my own. But now I feel like A) I want/need/feel I have to be writing at least every day, just to get it out of my system and because I have so much I want to say and whenever I do write, I say a lot. But B) as I look back on my life and there are so many different experiences I've had over the years, I find I hardly remember anything. Only a certain event, if something special happened that day, and sometimes just general memories of doing things, although sometimes it'll be things I never think of, but when someone mentions it I remember them. But even just ordinary things like what I used to do on a typical day in 7th grade. I have no idea! Obviously it's not very important, on a purely interesting level, but I think it's important that I remember what it was like to be me and who I was, if I was the same person or if I've changed. I've always wished that there was some way to record my thoughts, and it seems like writing's the closest thing I'll get to doing that. So, B) as a record of my life, that I can look back on, and always remember (almost) everything I did, thought, felt at this time in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I just started a journal last night... :O that's err, weird. It doesn't have lines, which is somehow disconcerting and exciting at the same time. I suppose assuming yours is online I'll have more to read - yayyyy! And I was wrong in my last comment, because I'm actually going to respond with my ownnn post. After I finish AP Euro.. which leads me to my next thing. I'm going to avoid getting on the computer until all of my homework is done. If I need a break I'll write or read, instead of tuning into the web :P With a laptop right here it's hard to resist, so that's goal number one for me. The rest will be in my next posting, which will be sooner rather than later (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine isn't online. Sorry. Except not really because I wouldn't be able to always write honestly if I had an audience besides myself. Depending on the day, I may post something on here.

    ReplyDelete